The goal of this article is to provide you with the necessary information and steps to configuring and deploying your Ascend experiment.
Add a website
- The first step to setting up your Ascend experiment is to add the URL of the website you’d like to test.
- Click on the website dropdown
- Click “+ Add Website”
- Add the URL of the website of the page in the modal (e.g. https://www.metropolclothing.com/)
Create an experiment
- Click on the “New Experiment” button
- In the modal, enter the following:
- Experiment Name
- Experiment Description
- Audience (Desktop + Tablet or Mobile Only)
- In the "Enter Landing Page” Tab, add the path to the first page in the funnel
- If you have set up an experiment, you can copy over a previous experiment
Create your funnel for the experiment
- Click on the experiment in the "experiment view”
- Add the pages in your funnel by clicking on the “+” button
- In the modal next to “Editor Path" add the URL path to the page you will be adding variations for in the editor (e.g. /collection/products/short-sleeve-mens-t-shirt-9)
- For "Target Path”, this is where you choose what URLs this funnel page experiment runs. Target Path specifies the URLs where your experiment runs on your site
- Use the “Try testing a URL:” section to test the URL to see if the “Begins With” or “Regular Expression” was set up to match the URLs you’d like to include
- URL match types
- Exact - Treatments defined for this funnel page will only run when the users load the exact URL
- Begins With - Treatments defined for this funnel page will only run when the users load the URL where the URL begins with the defined parameter (e.g."/products/“ for the experiments on all product pages)
- Regular Expression - For advanced URL targeting, you can use regular expressions (“RegEx”) to specific a group of pages which treatments should be served.
- Use the URL match validation feature to check your targeting configuration
Add a Conversion Goal
- The conversion goal is the macro conversion Ascend will be optimizing for in the experiment
- Click on “Add Conversion Goal"
- You have the following two options for count a conversion goal (or conversion event).
- When a user reaches a “Thank you” page
- enter the path of the “Thank you” page (e.g. success.html)
- Use URL targeting to match the URL
2. When a user clicks on a link or button
Analytics Integration Setup
- For analytics integration details, please visit our analytics integration steps article here.
Add Variations in the Ascend Wireframe Editor
- Enter the Ascend Wireframe Editor by clicking on “Edit page elements” in the funnel view
- You will see the Wireframe editor load the page on the right-hand side and the element table on the left
- You can create variations by hovering your mouse over a given element and click on it
- You’ll see the “Add Element" modal where you can define a name and validate it’s the correct element by checking the element selector, HTML, and CSS
The calibrate control test enables Ascend to gather baseline conversion rate and user count data.
- This enables you to validate the test has been set up correctly (via comparing conversion rate/user data)
- We recommend you run this for 24-48 hours and compare the data on conversions and user data with your analytics platform (e.g. Google Analytics, Adobe, etc.)
- To deploy your experiment, click on the “Deploy Experiment” button
- Upon clicking, confirm you’d like to deploy then your experiment will become active within 10 minutes and users to your site will be served treatments